Thursday, January 30, 2014

What Does My Hand Say?

I had my palm read over the weekend at a tiny candle-lit table in an unassuming corner of a bar by a soft-spoken, wrinkly-eyed gypsy woman for $25. And it was both eerily life affirming and wildly off the mark ("It looks like you're in a fight with your mom" Uh, no). But that's to be expected. As a friend later put it, after listening to the lengthy description of my foretold fortunes, "Well, they can't all bat a thousand."


At the insistence of Heather (more like pushing and shoving), I slid into the small chair opposite stacks of tarot cards and votive candles to embark on my very first palm reading. Truthfully, I wasn't sure what to expect, beyond what Heather and Nicole (who'd only just vacated the same seat after much excited chatter over the future of her romantic relationships) had told me about this fortune teller at the bar every time they'd been, telling them the same thing each time they sat down. So there I was, right hand nervously outstretched beneath a heavily bedazzled magnifying glass as deep pen lines appeared in the creases of my palm, waiting for the proclamation of a lifetime. High expectations for the neighborhood clairvoyant, no?

Here's what she had to say:

- I am either living in the wrong city or working in the wrong career (ugh?!)
- I'm from the West coast; she guessed California (pretty close--Seattle)
- For work, I excel/enjoy most the creative side of projects and bringing people together (definitely true)
- I will have two boys and a girl for kids (if true, I'll take it!)
- My life line is unusually "all over the place" and not well-defined, indicating high levels of stress (somewhat true, more so at this time in my life)
- I have difficulty saying no to things/people which wears on me physically, and I should learn to be less of a people pleaser (1000% true)
Sometime between the age of 31 and 32, I'll meet three important romantic relationships one of which will ultimately be the One (when I questioned which of the three was marriage material, she responded "Oh, monogamy wasn't established yet when palm reading was invented so I can't tell." Right, ok.)

For the most part, a knowing smile hovered on my face the entire 20 minutes we talked, though a few of her comments range false: two breakups at age 26 and 27 (nope, in a relationship with Kevin that whole time!) and I have zero desire for kids (this is only somewhat false as I do eventually want a family but have never been a dying-to-have-kids-right-now type). The epic proclamation I was waiting for? Still waiting. But that's ok because I've got polygamy in my future to look forward to!

Have you ever had your palm read? Did any of it actually come true? Is it all just a bunch of mumbo jumbo?!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment